We Supply and Fit Recycled Glass Worktops in Newbury, Berkshire
In designing Recycled Glass, we aimed to develop an eco-friendly product which embodied distinction; a luxury worktop with it’s own unique character. After years of research and development, we formulated our own unique methodology to combine the strength of Quartz with the allure of crystal. The result is a worktop of stunning beauty, offering a literal depth of texture which is inimitable by any other style of worktop.
Recycled Glass is composed of 70% Recycled Glass, giving a unique depth of texture as light refracts throughout the glass surface crystals. Crushed and powdered glass fragments beneath each crystal offer a glistening dimension unseen in any other kind of surface. This is truly a luxury worktop that must be seen in the flesh to be fully appreciated.
Features of Recycled Glass are:-
- Distinct Quartz aesthetic, with a transparency of shards completely unique to the Recycled Glass range
- 30mm thick Worktops, with 20mm Upstands and Splashbacks
- Easy to Clean & Maintain, does not require sealants or waxes.
- Uniform in appearance
- Stain & Heat Resistant (but not heat proof)
- Hygienic, non-porous surface
Recycled Glass is produced through a range of complex procedures, which include subjecting the worktops to high levels of vibrations to remove any trapped air. This is imperative to ensuring the strength of Recycled Glass meets up to our high quality standards – achieving around 4-5 times the flexural strength of Granite. As a result of these procedures, it is common to find very small air-holes (pores) in the surface of all colours, these are not considered to be defects in the product.
Because Recycled Glass is composed of 70% recycled glass chips and powdered glass, which are random by nature, every worktop will be completely unique. Variations in tone, size, shape and pattern may occur in the worktops between different samples. As the chips found in Recycled Glass are up to 5 times the size of those in Quartz, tolerances for scratches are equally scaled. As such, any scratch not exceeding 25mm is considered within normal production parameters.
Recycled Glass Top Surface Finish
Recycled glass contains surface chips which are large compared to those found in Quartz material. These chips have a different texture and gloss level to the background, and can be seen and felt by hand.
The larger chips in Recycled Glass may have uneven surfaces, visible cracks or slightly broken edges, This is a characteristic of the material and is not considered a fault.
Recycled Glass Edge Detail Finish
The large glass chips on the edges are harder than the base material and the polishing process abrades the base material slightly more than the glass chips which can be slightly raised against the base material, these edges will be straight and smooth but slightly uneven without any broken or sharp parts, this is not a product fault.
Recycled Glass worktops come with a double bevel finish as standard, though this is only one of a range of finishes that can be completed by our team of specialised technicians, some of which can be completely transformative to the final appearance of your worktop.
While Double Bevel Edge is included in the linear metre price of a worktop, please note that all other edges will carry an additional charge.
Imperial, Full Bullnose, Single Ovolo, Milano & Venetian require a scribed joint.
Birds Beak, Milano and Venetian edges are only available in 20/20mm.
Please contact our sales team to ask about our exclusive “Deeper Downturn” manufacturing capabilities, offering from 60-100mm downturns in a limited range of colours.
Internal profile edges on double and single radius edge details other than bevelled edges must have a radius of at least 60mm. Bevel edges don’t have this constraint as they are hand finished.
The normal joint for these materials will be a standard Butt Joint ending with a 5mm overhang, with additional options of Flush Fitting Butt joints, or a Flush Fitting Mitred Joint.
Upstands refer to an engineered ‘back wall’ of a worktop, cut from the same style of worktop, and the same batch where possible. For Apollo Recycled Glass, these are of 20mm thick material, and can be produced at either 100mm or 50mm high segments. Because Apollo Recycled Glass is a straight and rigid material, variations in the wall behind will cause gaps to be visible. As such, please ensure plastering or tiling is completed after the worksurface installation so that such gaps can be minimised.
From our manufacturing facilities, we are able to produce worktop cutouts to high standards with minimal lead times. Our team of specialist machining and hand-tooling technicians work around the clock to produce hundreds of tailored quartz worktops every month.
When deciding on the layout of your cutouts, please bear the following in mind:-
- A minimum of 120mm is required between two hob cutouts
- A minimum of 50mm from the cutout to the front edge is required
- A minimum of 70mm is required between sink cutouts.
- Joints must be a minimum of 50mm from a sink or hob cutout.
- Splashbacks & Upstands over 100mm must have a minimum gap from the face to the rear of the hob of 50mm for Electric and 100mm for Gas hobs.
- Additional support will be required for Ceramic sinks, or undermounted sinks with a waste disposal system. This must be addressed by the kitchen fitter or plumber.
Butt Corner Joint
Typically, a quartz worktop will be joined together with a Butt-Corner Joint for simplicity, material economy, and cost savings. To avoid sharp edges, this joint has a v-groove indentation on the surface.
Scribed Corner Joint
For more advanced edge details, such as Bullnose & Sharks Nose, a Scribed Corner Joint will be necessary. This ensures that the edge detail can be continued around the corner, as the inside corner produced allows both worktop segments to meet along the same 45 degree vertex.
Drainer grooves can be machined into the surface during fabrication, creating a finishing touch for undermounted sinks.
- Helps prevent vacuum pressure beneath crockery left to dry
- May help in directing drainage, as opposed to a flat surface
- Aesthetic appearance
Drainer grooves as pictured can be either flat (3mm channels) or graduated (1-5mm), and are typically machined towards the small bowl in a worksurface installation, with either five or four channels.
Recessed Drainers provide a flat, 3mm ingressed worktop section, which is lower than the standard surface. This localises drips and spills into a dedicated area, making it easy to direct any overspill neatly into the basin.
Please note, that both drainer grooves and recessed drainers will have a comparatively duller finish than the finished worksurface, due to the machining processes involved.
- Never place hot pans or cooking equipment directly onto the worksurface (or into an empty sink). Always use a heat protection pad or a trivet with rubber feet for hot cook wear or leave the pans etc to cool on the hob first.
- Always use a chopping board. Apart from the effect that cutting on the Apollo Recycled Glass has on blunting your knives, whilst the surface is scratch resistant, it is not scratch proof.
- Care should always be taken to protect your worksurface from sharp or heavy items.
- Whilst Apollo Recycled Glass is a very durable specialist surface, it is man-made and has the potential to chip.
- Care should be taken with exposed edges, as these may be prone to chipping on impact
If your worktop does happen to chip, please contact Vogue Worktops as it is possible to repair small chips on the edges or on the surface.
When we at Vogue Worktops supply a worktop, we include with every order our Care & Maintenance kit which includes everything you need to keep your worktop in first class condition. Follow the instructions within for a trouble free, great looking worktop.
Recycled Glass worksurfaces are made from 70% Recycled Glass Chips & Fine Crushed Glass, 20% Powdered Quartz and the remaining 10% polymer resin.